Itinerary southern Calabria road trip
1 week in southern Calabria: the toe of the boot
Why visit Calabria?
If you are wondering what are the reasons to visit Calabria by car, read my itinerary about what I think are the main stops of the "Southern Calabria road trip".
A tour of southern Calabria by car will allow you to admire wonderful villages on promontories overlooking the sea, green mountains overlooking the Adriatic and enjoy excellent cuisine with a spicy flavor.
From March to November is the best time to visit Calabria.
Southern Calabria road trip in 7 days
Catanzaro is considered the old European capital of silk.
- Catanzaro - Squillace (25 Km/15,5 mi)
Squillace is a village with a rich historical heritage dominated by a Norman castle.
- Squillace - Soverato (20 Km/12,4 mi)
Soverato is a small town considered the pearl of the Ionian.
- Soverato - Monasterace (31,4 Km/19,5 mi)
Monasterace is an interesting medieval village.
- Monasterace - Roccella (25 Km/15,5 mi)
Roccella Jonica is a seaside resort famous for its crystal clear waters.
- Roccella - Gerace (28,5 Km/17,7 mi)
Gerace is an ancient village that serves as a gateway to the Aspromonte National Park.
- Gerace - Brancaleone (46,6 Km/29 mi)
Brancaleone is defined as the "city of sea turtles".
- Brancaleone - Reggio Calabria (65 Km/40 mi)
Reggio Calabria is the city of the "Riace bronzes".
- Reggio Calabria - Scilla (22 Km/13,7 mi)
Scilla is a renowned seaside resort famous for its promontory overlooking the sea.
- Scilla - Aspromonte National Park (47 Km/24 mi)
The Aspromonte National Park is one of the most geologically active areas in the Mediterranean with mountains up to 2000 meters a short distance from the sea.
- Aspromonte National Park - Capo Vaticano (103 Km/64 mi)
Capo Vaticano boasts one of the most beautiful beaches in Italy.
- Capo Vaticano - Tropea (11,5 Km/7 mi)
Tropea is the jewel of the renowned "coast of gods".
- Tropea - Pizzo (30 Km/18,6 mi)
Pizzo is a pretty seaside village renowned for its good ice cream.
- Pizzo - Lamezia Terme (33 Km/20,5 mi)
Lamezia Terme is famous for its archaeological sites and ancient baths.
- Lamezia Terme - Catanzaro (38,7 Km/5,4 mi)
Suggest other interesting stops within this itinerary by commenting the article.
What to do in Calabria:
- Dive into the crystal clear waters of the Calabrian coast
- Eat the typical spicy Calabrian dishes
- Admire the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Ionian Sea from the high mountains a stone's throw from the sea