Itinerary Umbria road trip
1 week in Umbria: green heart of Italy
Why visit Umbria?
If you are wondering what are the reasons to visit Umbria by car, read my itinerary about what I think are the main stages of the tour "Umbria road trip".
A tour of Umbria by car will allow you to admire the green heart of Italy with a nature rich in hills, lakes and green mountains that fits perfectly with an inestimable historical heritage made up of magnificent villages medieval.
March to November is the best time to visit Umbria.
Umbria road trip in 7 days
Perugia is the regional capital and boasts an important historical heritage
- Perugia - Gubbio (40,5 Km/25 mi)
Gubbio is defined as the most beautiful medieval city
Read my article: "Gubbio and the biggest Christmas tree in the world"
- Gubbio - Assisi (56 Km/34 mi)
Assisi is the city of San Francesco, therefore with a strong religious connotation
- Assisi - Spello (13,4 Km/8,3 mi)
Spello is the village of flowers
- Spello - Pale (14,4 Km/9 mi)
Pale is a fraction of Foligno the base to visit Menotre waterfalls, Abbadessa caves and the hermitage of Santa Maria Giacobbe
- Pale - Rasiglia (9,3 Km/5,8 mi)
Rasiglia is a small village made magical by the streams that flow inside it
Read my article: "Rasiglia: village of streams"
- Rasiglia - Spoleto (28,3 Km/17,6 mi)
Spoleto is a Romanesque city characterized by important historical buildings and an imposing Roman aqueduct
During the flowering period (generally from mid-June to mid-July) a visit to the plain of Castelluccio di Norcia is a must to admire the expanse of colorful flowers that fill the Umbrian plateau.
- Spoleto - Castelluccio di Norcia (68 Km/42 mi)
In Castelluccio every year you can admire the most beautiful flowering in Italy
- Castelluccio di Norcia - Norcia (29,3 Km/18,2 mi)
Norcia is an interesting village strongly affected by the 2016 earthquake and with a notable culinary tradition
- Norcia - Spoleto (43,6 Km/27 mi)
- Spoleto - Marmore Falls (32,3 Km/20 mi)
The Marmore Falls is undoubtedly the most famous in Italy and among the most beautiful in Europe
- Marmore Falls - Todi (55 Km/4 mi)
Todi is a beautiful Umbrian village called the ideal city
- Todi - Orvieto (47 Km/29 mi)
Orvieto is a city located in a particular geographic location
- Orvieto - Castiglione del Lago (67 Km/41,6 mi)
Castiglione del Lago is the most characteristic village on the shores of Lake Trasimeno and is dominated by a medieval fortress
- Castiglione del Lago - Tuoro sul Trasimeno (16,2 Km/10 mi)
From Tuoro sul Trasimeno, ferries leave for Isola Maggiore
- Tuoro sul Trasimeno - Passignano sul Trasimeno (6,1 Km/3,8 mi)
Passignano sul Trasimeno is a lovely tourist resort on Trasimeno
- Passignano sul Trasimeno - Perugia (29 Km/18 mi)
Suggest other interesting stops within this itinerary by commenting the article.
What to do in Umbria:
- Go rafting starting from the base of the Marmore waterfall (book your reservation)
- Admire the flowering of Castelluccio di Norcia
- Visit Gubbio during the Christmas period to admire the biggest Christmas tree in the world
Articles that may interest you:
Itinerary Tuscany road trip
Gubbio and the biggest
Christmas tree in the world
Rasiglia: village of streams